Kagando Rural Development Centre began in 1965, primarily as a hospital for lepers through the work of the African Inland Mission. African Inland Mission (AIM) was founded in 1895 by Peter Cameron Scott, a young man whose goal was to bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ inland from the coast of Kenya on Africa's eastern shore all the way to Chad in central Africa. Over the years, the hospital's activities diversified in response to community needs. A community-based health care project was established following a severe cholera outbreak in 1978. In 1981, an agricultural extension program began to address increasing malnutrition in the area. The programs continued to expand and in 1986 Kagando Hospital and its outreach activities became Kagando Rural Development Centre (KARUDEC). The opportunities to help these communities improve their lives are many and the financial resources are few. However, despite daunting odds, much is being accomplished.